In order to mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Corps of Engineers is implementing restrictions on campsite and day-use area availability nationwide. The restrictions apply to Hartwell, Richard. B Russell and J. Strom Thurmond reservoir projects in the following ways.
- Effective immediately all visitor centers are closed to the public until further notice.
- Parks, campgrounds, day-use areas or other recreation areas that have not opened for the 2020 recreation season shall delay opening until further notice. Full refunds for cancelled reservations will be given.
- Campers with reservations at Watsadler Campground and Twin Lakes Campground on Hartwell Lake who have already arrived may remain through the end of their reservation. All future reservations will be canceled.
- Campers with reservations at Petersburg Campground on Thurmond Lake who have already arrived or who arrive by March 22 may remain through the end of their reservation. All future reservations will be canceled.
- Open recreation areas with gates will be closed.
- Recreational areas that have no gate or closure mechanism will remain open; however, the restrooms, beaches, shelters and other amenities will be closed or secured. These areas will receive surveillance patrols for public safety and property protection.
- The fishing piers just downriver of Hartwell, Russell and Thurmond Dams will be closed beginning Monday, March 23, until further notice
- Boat ramps in areas of open access remain open
Shoreline management visits, usually relating to dock permits, will be conducted by phone, email, or mail between dock owners and Corps personnel to protect both parties.
These steps follow guidelines set for the national emergency caused by the COVID19 virus.
For more information on the closures of Corps recreation areas, we ask that you contact the USACE lake or river project before your visit. A complete list of recreation areas is available at www.CorpsLakes.us.
Thanks for your patience and understanding as this pandemic evolves.
~Russell Wicke, Corporate Communications